Happy Monday! My weekend went by way too quickly as it usually does. This past week, I’ve been super busy getting stuff ready for the baby and finishing up other things I wanted to get done before the baby comes…like finishing our wedding album. So I took a little break from blogging this past week to focus on that. It’s almost done.
We started our meal off with the Crostino Milano appetizer with gluten-free bread. On top of the bread was spinach infused with olive oil, garlic, basil, tomatoes and goat cheese. It was very good and just what I needed. I’ve been skimping on veggies the past few weeks because they just haven’t appealed to me in the raw sense, but this was very satisfying.
For dinner I went with the pizza. They have some of the best gluten-free pizza I’ve tasted. LC and I visited their sister restaurant a few months ago, and enjoyed it so I knew this place would not disappoint. I went with the La Bella pizza and added chicken and goat cheese. The last time I was at Via, I had a pizza with their garlic sauce and it won my heart so I ordered another garlic sauce based pizza. My heartburn hasn’t been too bad this pregnancy, but I wanted to err on the side of caution and forgo a tomato based sauce. The pizza originally came with artichokes, cheese, and onions.
After dinner, we headed to a new frozen yogurt place in Milwaukee. In the land of ice cream and frozen custard, I’m so happy to see a frozen yogurt shop. There were tons of them in Chicago and I’ve now seen two pop up in Milwaukee.
I loved the way this place is set up. We walked in and a girl offered us little sampling cups so that we could try whatever yogurt we wanted before we decided. It’s self serve and their flavors change daily. I decided on 1/2 dolce de leche and 1/2 NY cheesecake. I topped it with some strawberries and was on my way. You can also top your frozen yogurt with whipped cream at the cashier’s station. The yogurt was very good and I would decide to have this over ice cream any day. Lately, ice cream and I haven’t really meshed well. Last time we went to Culver’s for frozen custard, I opted for a lemon Italian ice instead. Baby really prefers fruity and cold :-) My mom said it was the perfect ending to her birthday :-)
On Saturday I went into work for a little bit and then came home and cleaned the house. I finally understand this “nesting” stuff. I’m constantly cleaning up our house every chance I get and I’m starting to drive my husband crazy. After my cleaning frenzy, we went to El Fuego for dinner and headed down to the lakefront to watch the Festa Italiana fireworks. It was the first fireworks show that I’ve seen all year. We missed the 4th of July fireworks due to the drought/dry grass this year.
On Sunday, I had my girlfriends over for a girls brunch and some pool time. It was nice catching up with everyone and getting together just for fun without it revolving around a baby shower, wedding shower etc.
For brunch I made a crustless quiche and overnight baked french toast. A friend of mine also brought over a fresh fruit salad to share. After brunch we headed over to the pool to sit in the sun and swim around. It was the perfect afternoon with my girls and will probably be the last time I see some of them before the baby arrives. We all agreed that we don’t get together often enough, but when we do we pick up right where we left off. As we get older, life gets in the way. I’ve been extremely blessed to have the same group of girlfriends since middle school (16 or so years?). Two of them are also pregnant and due in December. They both recently found out that they’re expecting girls, which makes me even more anxious to find out what we’re having. EVERYONE keeps telling me that I’m having a boy (my sister is sticking to her guns and saying girl). And last night I had a dream that I gave birth to a boy. In the beginning, I had dreams that I was having a girl and I’ve also had a few dreams that it was a boy. Maybe that’s because it’s what everyone is guessing that I’m having? Who knows, but we’ll know soon enough :-)
I’m off to the craft store for a DIY project for the baby’s room and I’ll be back later with a pregnancy update!
Something to talk about: In my opinion, summer goes by way too quickly as an adult. What’s your all-time favorite memory of summer as a child? My grandma was a teacher’s aid, so I remember spending a lot of time with her in the summer. We’d spend time baking, going to the library, movies, and the little wading pool in our neighborhood. I also remember making homemade GAK with her :-)
1. For the man who made me a wife almost 4 months ago. I’m thankful that you are so patient, supportive, loving & understanding. I couldn’t have picked a better partner in life.
2. For my wonderful family. Mom, your words of wisdom & advice have not gone unheard. I greatly appreciate you and everything you’ve done for me. Mel-I’m thankful to have you as a sister and a best friend for life.
3. The awesome girlfriends that I’ve been so blessed to know and grow up with since middle school.
4. My dog Oliver, seriously the best little buddy ever.
5. My ability to run, workout & just in general use my legs. When a bad ankle sprain had me sidelined in April I never realized how much I had taken my mobility for granted.
6. The Air Force. We’ve had our ups & downs and uncertainties along the way, but I’m thankful for all the opportunities that the Air Force has given me to meet great people and travel to some pretty cool places.
7. Bar Method. For giving me sculpted legs that complete strangers compliment me on…
8. And for tan towels for making them look just a little bit better in shorts :-)
9. Hard cider.
10. Pumpkin anything. Coffee, oatmeal, pie…the list goes on & on
11. Wine & Napa Valley
12. Quality TV: Guiliana & Bill, Kardashians, Chelsea Lately, Bethenny ever After
13. My Nook. Although I do enjoy/miss curling up with an actual book, my Nook allows me to bring many books with me in one small little gadget. Definitely helps with luggage weight restrictions.
14. July 3rd. Two pretty big things happened on this date :-)
15. Quiet cars on the Amtrak.
16. The Packers (so far) undefeated football season.
17. The flan I discovered in the chow hall…the first dessert I’ve had in 30 days.
18. Cafe Hollander’s goat cheese & rosemary macaroni (pre-gf days) Thank you for giving me the inspiration to create my own gluten-free version.
19. Having 4 seasons. Especially fall.
20. Babycakes cookbooks.
21. Swirlz & Sprinkles
22. Hot yoga on cold winter mornings. Seriously ahhhmazing!
23. Udi’s GF bagels.
24. Garmin, for keeping my time & mileage during my runs
25. Lululemon groove pants.
26. For God & the pilots who got us here safely.
27. Having a creating outlet where I can write about life & food…two of my favorite things.
See you in a few days…from CHICAGO!